I frequently get asked by homeowners for suggestions on how they can determine if this is the year when they need to re-roof their home. That’s a good question and I suspect that, with the tough winter that much of the country has had including lots of ice dams and snow and rain troubles, many homeowners will be wondering whether this is their year for a new roof.
If you are in that boat, there are several things to look for which could help quide your decision:
1) Does your roof have any leaks? This is a clear indication that you cannot continue to put off a decision.
2) Did you have any severe ice damming this past winter? Ice damming often damages shingles, making them more prone to other problems down the road. If ice damming is an issue, remember to look at increasing insulation and ventilation when you replace your roof.
3) Are you seeing problems with attic heat build-up? If you’re tired of paying higher costs for air conditioning because of a hot attic, it may be time to consider a new cool roof.
4) Do you see missing or badly curled shingles, rusted valleys, or other damage? These visual things are usually indicators that more problems lie ahead in the near future.
5) Do you plan to be away from home for an extended period? If so, then it often makes sense to resolve any looming roofing problems before you leave.
If you would like additional advice on your roof situation, feel free to contact me and even send pictures of your roof! My email is [email protected]
Todd's expertise comes from his years of experience in metal roofing manufacturing. As president of Classic Products, Inc. based in Piqua Ohio, Todd runs two of the world's leading manufacturers of residential metal roofing. His personal goal is to educate homeowners of the long-life benefits of metal roofing.
Educate yourself for a better experience when buying a new roof
This comprehensive guide includes everything you'll need from "choosing a manufacturer" to a "metal roofing checklist," and is sure to be a great tool for helping you make the best investment in you home’s protection.Get your copy!