Spring 2011 has started off like a lion in many areas of the country. In fact, some of the most severe weather has been in areas that normally don’t see hail and tornadoes to this great of an extent. States like North and Saouth Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Iowa, and Wisconsin have been hit especially hard.
Unfortunately, when a severe hail storm hits, it can put a homeowner into the position of having to make a roofing decision many years sooner than they anticipated. Then it gets even more complicated when “storm chaser” contractors come into town to make a bunch of quick sales paid for by insurance.
After a hail storm, it’s important to take a little time to set the criteria for your new roof. Yes, you need to move fairly quickly but not at the expense of making a bad decision. Therefore, when choosing a new roof after a hail storm, I would suggest keeping the following things in mind:
1) Focus on locally owned and operated contractors who have been around awhile. You want the option of service after the sale and that can be difficult with an out of town “storm chaser” contractor. You want the contractor who knows that, years from now, they may run into you at the grocery story, school, church, etc.
2) Talk to your insurance company specifically about whether they suggest, and will pay for, having your old roof removed rather than install the new roof over it.
3) Seek out products that are aesthetically complementary to your home. Now is the time to change the look and feel of your home for added beauty and value.
4) Consider ways to make your home more energy efficient at the same time. Consider a cool or reflective roof. Consider ways to add a radiant barrier to your roofing system as well as ways to increase the ventilation in your attic.
5) Plan for the reality that this may not be the last time that your area experiences severe hail. Roofs with Class IV Impact Resistance ratings are the most resistant to hail damage but — this is important — keep in mind that only new products are tested for that rating. Some products may test very well when they are new but with age they become brittle and less flexible, making them more prone to hail damage. Metal roofs are one product which resist hail when they are new and resist it equally well as they age.
6) If you consider a metal roof, keep in mind that metal roofs which have greater texturing have built-in resistance to hail and, as an added bonus, will also hide or mask any small indentations which may occur from a severe hail storm.
7) Before you have your roof replaced, have an inspection done of any masonry work that butts against or protrudes from the roof. If you have tuckpointing or other repairs that are needed, it is best to do those before the roofing work is completed.
If you are facing a hail-related roofing decision, take the time to slow down and make a wise decision which accomplishes as much as you possibly can with your new roof and which saves you from future worries and problems.
Todd's expertise comes from his years of experience in metal roofing manufacturing. As president of Isaiah Industries, based in Piqua Ohio, Todd runs a several of the world’s leading manufacturers of residential metal roofing; Classic Metal Roofing Systems, Kassel & Irons, and Green American Home. His personal goal is to educate homeowners of the long-life benefits of metal roofing.
Need help finding a local, quality metal roofing contractor or supplier? I can help.Find a Contractor or Supplier
Unfortunately, most roofing contractors come in, measure, and simply give you a price. Learn more about what you want and what you need in new roof, before you invite the contractor into your home. My Roofing Profile Selector is easy to use, and it will help you find the very best roofing solution for you and your home.
Educate yourself for a better experience when buying a new roof
This comprehensive eBook includes everything you'll need from "choosing a manufacturer" to a "metal roofing checklist," and is sure to be a great tool for helping you make the best investment in you home’s protection.Get your copy!