Hip Caps and Closure on a Metal Roof

August 14, 2009 | Filed under: Misc, Roofing Answers, Roofing Installation

Q: I am installing a metal hip roof and am concerned about the possibility of leakage around the hip caps seams. The ridge cap covers the seams but leaves gaps underneath due to the ridged profile of the roofing. What can I do to seal these gaps?

A: The good thing about hips, in contrast to valleys, is that water runs away from rather than toward them. This makes them easier to keep watertight.

However, big gaps can allow water to blow in and can allow wind uplift of the caps.

I wish I knew what product you are installing … I could maybe give more detail that way.

Always refer to manufacturer instructions though.

One option is to put a lineal flashing up the hips before the roofing is installed — this flashing can channel any water that does enter down to the bottom of the roof, allowing it to exit there.

In some cases, too, the panels can be flattened as they approach the hip, providing a smoother area to attach the caps.

In other cases, the roof panels are brought to the hip and folded up a little to prevent water intrusion.

Feel free to email me at todd@asktoddmiller.com with any specific information or pictures of your project.

todd Miller

has spent his entire career in the metal building products manufacturing industry. He is president of Isaiah Industries, an organization recognized as one of the world’s leading metal roofing manufacturers. Todd is currently Vice President of the MRA (Metal Roofing Association) and a Past Chair of MCA (Metal Construction Association). Through his website, he strives to raise the bar on standards and practices to provide property owners with the best possible products for successful roofing projects.

You may pull quotes from this article provided you include a link back to the original article on this site. You may not reprint this full article, or even a significant amount of the article, without explicit permission. To gain permission, click here.

6 responses to “Hip Caps and Closure on a Metal Roof”

  1. Greg says:

    What is the best way to make the bottom of the metal hip trim to look sealed at the bottom of a hip on a low slope roof?

  2. Kevin Tanner says:

    Hello Todd. I recently had a metal roof installed. I have some concerns about the way the custom bent ridge cap pieces, were designed and installed. I have some photos of the installation. I hope you might have some advice as to the best way correct the problems.

  3. Geoff says:

    Hello Todd,
    I have a corro roof and ridge capping is flat at edges where it meets roof
    I will be denying up lower parts of roof profile….will this be enough to stop water or do also need to cut ridge capping to bend into low part of roofing?
    Thanks for any help

    • toddmiller says:

      You need some sort of closure on the hip, whether it’s foam or cut metal or flexible metal … you need something.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

8 factors

8 Factors That Influence The Cost of a Metal Roof

Find Out

Thinking about a new roof?

How To Buy A Metal Roof eBook cover

Educate yourself for a better experience when buying a new roof

This comprehensive eBook includes everything you'll need from "choosing a manufacturer" to a "metal roofing checklist," and is sure to be a great tool for helping you make the best investment in you home’s protection.

Get your copy!