Metal Roof Installation and Roof Performance
November 11, 2019 | Filed under: Hiring A Roofing Contractor, Roofing Installation
Installation is an Overriding Factor in Roof Performance
When it comes to the successful performance of a roofing system, proper installation is more important than anything else. But, when it comes to buying a metal roof, proper installation can be the hardest thing to find. Horror stories about improperly-installed metal roofs and disappointed customers abound on the Metal Roofing Alliance Ask The Experts site where I regularly answer questions and help people with concerns.
You may wonder why, if metal roofing is such a great thing, are there so many problems out there. I attribute it to the fact that metal roofing has been a very fast-growing industry. With significant growth over the past 15 years, metal now has a 13% share of the North American residential roofing market. It is now the second most-used roofing material on homes, having surpassed tile.
This has caused many contractors, suppliers, installers, and even manufacturers to jump into a “metal roofing game” without a clue what they’re doing. This practice upsets us greatly and is precisely why we spend so much time helping guide homeowners to wise roofing decisions.
Avoid a Metal Roofing Installation Mistake
I suggest following these steps to achieving a reliable and secure metal roof installation:
- Look for independent contractor recommendations from the manufacturer of the metal roof system you like best.
- Inquire as to the training and experience level of the installers who will be working on your roof.
- Ask for copies of licenses, training certificates, and insurances held by your contractor.
- Request the written workmanship warranty provided by your contractor.
- Follow my suggested “44 Questions To Ask Your Roofing Contractor” before signing a contract.
- Send photos of the installation in-process to the roofing manufacturer for their feedback. Many of the finer and most critical details of a proper metal roof installation end up hidden beneath the surface of the completed job.
- Look for help and guidance from me.
I’m always looking for ways to help find the very best roofing solution for each need, and I look forward to answering your questions about roof installation.
Todd Miller has spent his entire career in the metal building products manufacturing industry. He is president of Isaiah Industries, an organization recognized as one of the world’s leading metal roofing manufacturers. Todd is currently Vice President of the MRA (Metal Roofing Association) and a Past Chair of MCA (Metal Construction Association). Through his website, he strives to raise the bar on standards and practices to provide property owners with the best possible products for successful roofing projects.
You may pull quotes from this article provided you include a link back to the original article on this site. You may not reprint this full article, or even a significant amount of the article, without explicit permission. To gain permission, click here.
Leave a Reply